In 1980 he began playing sax self-taught. He moved to Barcelona in 1982, where he ended his flute classical studies. At the same time he started attending Taller de Mùsics, where he studied harmony and arrangements with Zé Eduardo. In 1991 he moved to New York, where he attended New School. There he had the chance to play with great musicians such as Lee Konitz, Jimmy Cobb, Joe Chambers, etc.
He also worked professionally with Steve Lacy, Daniel Humair, Fred Hersch, Bob Moses, Louis Bellson, Michael Brecker, Bob Mintzer, Maria Schneider, Pat Metheny, Kenny Wheeler, etc.
He has been tecahing in some of the most important jazz schools in Spain: Taller de Músics, Musikene, ESMUC, etc, and has been doing workshops all around the world. He has played in festivals and jazz clubs all around the world.
Nowadays he combines teaching in Berklee College of Music Valencia Campus with his activity as a jazz performer and Big Band conductor.
– Best jazz group A FREE K at San Sebastián Jazz Festival (1984).
– First prize Valencian Jazz contest with Carlos Gonzálbez 6 en 1 in l985.
– First prize at the same event with Perico Sambeat Group in 1998.
– 2nd. prize young european BIG BANDS, (Berlín 1988) with BIG BANG BARNA BAND.
– First prize at Muestra Nacional de Jóvenes Intérpretes 1990 Perico Sambeat Quartet.
– Best soloist at the same event.
– 2nd. prize GETXO jazz groups contest 1990 Perico Sambeat Quartet.
– Critics special award balearian governmentent 1990.
“JAZZ ENTRE AMIGOS” AWARDS:
– BEST group A FREE K 1987,
– BEST group ICTUS 1988
– BEST group JORDI VILA I ELS SEUS AMICS 1990
– BEST soloist 1990.
– CARTELERA TURIA award to the best musical contribution 1991.
– First composition prize for young musicians SGAE 1993 “La noche de Lemuria”, third prize 1997 .
– Best Spanish alto saxophonist by popular vote Satchmo jazz magazine 1996.
– Best saxofonist by popular vote, L’Associació de musics de Catalunya in 1994 and 2000.
– Best saxofonist by popular vote, Asociación de musicos de jazz de Valencia (Promúsics) 2001.
– Jazz award to Valencian Music World 2002 (Valenciana Radio-TV) .
– Award to the path and dedication to scenic arts, Godella 2002.
– 3rd. latin jazz composition prize SGAE , La Habana 2002 “Este también” .
– “Bird Award” to the Artist deserving wider recognition at North Sea Jazz Festival 2003.
– Best jazz group Enderrock 2.005, Perico Sambeat sextet.
– Best jazz CD of the year Enderrock 2.008, Flamenco Big band
– AMMJ 2009 AWARDS:
– Best group: CMS (Colina, Miralta, Sambeat)
– Best record: “Flamenco Big Band”
– Composer of the year: Perico Sambeat
– JazzTerrasaman 2011
– Sant Andreu Jazzman 2017